Dr. Alan Durkin Bio
About Dr. Alan Durkin
Dr. Alan Durkin is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon at Ocean Drive Plastic Surgery, a state-of-the-art plastic surgery center in Vero Beach, FL. Dr. Durkin graduated magna cum laude from University of Miami where he earned a B.S. in Biology. He earned a M.S. from University of Chicago and a M.D. from University of South Florida. Dr. Durkin is the recipient of numerous awards and accolades in medicine but most notably, Dr. Durkin was awarded the Arnold P Gold Award for Humanism in Medicine . Also, Dr. Durkin’s excellence as a surgical educator to other physicians earned him the award for “Outstanding Resident Surgical Educator” for 4 consecutive years as well as, the John E. Turlich Award for Resident Teaching Excellence in 2006. Furthermore, Dr. Durkin has published over 25 peer-reviewed publications in medicine and has presented his cancer research findings at national and international physician symposiums where he has also earned over 7 awards for most outstanding medical presentations.
Dr. Durkin is both an American Board Certified Surgeon and American Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Dr. Durkin specializes in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery of the face and breast including, face and brow lifts, nose reshaping, breast augmentations, breast reconstruction and revisional breast surgery (fixing breast augmentations). Dr. Durkin also routinely performs body contouring procedures such as tummy tucks and mommy makeovers (combination of breast surgery and tummy tuck). Additionally, Dr. Durkin removes excess skin from patients who have had bariatric surgery and/or massive weight loss.
Dr. Durkin is on the medical staff at Sebastian River Medical Center (Sebastian, FL) and Indian River Medical Center (Vero Beach, FL) and he is the Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon for the surgical weight loss team lead by Dr. Patrick Domkowski at Riverside Surgical Weight Loss Center in Sebastian, FL. Dr. Durkin also offers private surgical care at Advanced Facial Cosmetic and Laser Surgery Center (Vero Beach, FL) where he operates with Dr. Ferdinand Becker, a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon with national recognition for face-lift surgery.
Dr. Alan Durkin’s Education
• University of Miami (BS), Magna cum Laude
• University of Chicago (MS)
• University of South Florida (MD)
Dr. Alan Durkin’s Board Certifications
• Board Certified Surgeon, American Board of Surgery (AMBS)
• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon , American Board of Plastic Surgery (AMBPS)
The American Board of Plastic Surgery MOC-PS® Program requirements are aligned with the four basic components approved by all 24 Member Boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS).
1. Licensure and Professional Standing (Part I MOC – years 3, 6 and 9 of 10 year cycle) ␣ Verification of unrestricted state medical license, hospital privileges, accreditation of non-hospital based freestanding outpatient surgery centers, submission of advertising
material, membership in one of the Board’s sponsoring organizations, and peer review
2. Life Long Learning and Self-Assessment (Part II MOC – years 3, 6 and 9 of 10 year cycle) ␣ 150 Continuing Medical Education (CME) credits in the previous three years ␣ Completion of one MOC-approved educational activity
3. Cognitive Expertise (Part III MOC – years 8, 9 or 10 of 10 year cycle) ␣ MOC-PS® Examination
4. Practice Performance Assessment (Part IV MOC) ␣ Completion of one Practice Assessment Module (review data from ten patient charts of
one specific operation chosen from a list of twenty operations available), Review of Benchmarking Report for comparison of data to peers and completion of Action Plan for Improvement (years 3, 6 and 9 of 10 year cycle)
␣ Case Collection of de-identified data from all cases over a six-month period (years 7, 8 or 9 of 10 year cycle)
Selected Awards and Professional Associations
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.